Thursday, February 6, 2014

Coming out of the dark

Some of you may not know this, but I don't tell all my friends and acquaintances that I even like to write.

That changed earlier this week, when I went public with my Facebook Writer page.

  • It's not that I am totally embarrassed about my stories or even writing in general. I just didn't feel the desire to entrap people I know into feigning interest.
  • On the other hand, I wanted to get my first novel manuscript into a state where I felt comfortable sharing that I actually had written something worthy of notice.
I once went to school in Los Angeles. Down there, every soul had a screenplay or manuscript in their back-pocket.

Back then, I didn't. However, when I actually wrote something I felt worth publishing, it made me think that not everyone wants to hear about it.

I'm sure that has some partial truth to it.

But anyway, now is the time to let people know that I am proud of my new novel. I'd like to get the feelers out from agents on the strength of the query, before I share more, but I've really enjoyed the process (a lot of work, late nights and struggling) to get even this far.

The problem is, I don't know what I don't know. I'll try to rectify that with more investigation and attending some conferences (very soon!). And believe me, I've been trying to read every blog and tidbit out there on the web to catch-up...

For those who are interested, here's my real-life story so far:
  • Began writing my first novel each night in November '13, for NaNoWriMo.
  • Edited it all December.
  • Had beta-readers read it and provide feedback and made a few initial agent queries to get my feet wet.
  • In January, severe overhaul of some of the structure; incorporation of feedback I agreed with.
  • Received some "other writer" feedback via Scribophile, which was fairly uplifting (and had good, constructive criticism)
  • Met with friends-of-friends-who-now-I-count-among-friends (say that ten times fast) who are in the industry and have received super advice.
That is not a long time for writing, but the inside fire is there. I hope I have more validation at some point, God willing. Though I'm trying to write for my own sake at the moment.

If you've come this far: thank you for your support and encouragement (and occasional kick to the rear).

No comments:

Post a Comment