Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Distractions and Floundering

Now back to my regular program. It's been hectic, especially with other non-writing-related activities going on, but here goes...

----

He rubbed his dust smeared lip with the back of his forearm and spat. As he stood back to observe the carnage, his eyebrows knit into part worry, part sinking, what-the-heck-did-I-get-myself-into discomfort. Never before had such a rank odor knocked him aside so handily. It reeked of mildew, sewage-- even death.

The echo of cars rang in his ears, causing him to peer back over his shoulder. He stalked over and slammed the garage door button before returning in a huff. No sense in allowing gawking neighbors to witness this mayhem.

One swift kick to the washing machine released the aching tension in his shoulders finally. "How the bleep did this sock get sucked into the washer drain pipe?"

The disgusting culprit wedged firmly in the impeller. No implement could reach it, save his bare fingers. Scrabbling at the tangled mess, the surefire sound of tearing cloth made him purse his lips. A final yank and it came free.

"That ought to do it," he said, replacing the drain valve and plate cover. A smirk creased upon his face. He knew there was no way in hell he would pay a damn plumber for this. That was his meal ticket.

----

So anyway, I spent this week somewhat productively. Unfortunately, it wasn't in writing. I fixed our water heater and our washing machine and some computer issues in my uncle's office. I can't really take full credit though. YouTube and Google are my friends. It's amazing what you can find on the internet these days to make sense of common-day troubles.

None of these are my day jobs, but it does feel good to fix things. I think it has to do with some buried manliness. Grunt. Make fire. Cook meat. That sort of thing. Seriously though, maybe it's easy to fall into small victories as a sense of accomplishment.

It's the same reason people fall into watching soaps and learning all the sordid details of wacky plotlines within, or get obsessed with points in a videogame.

I'm still committed to the craft and improving my writing.
 
Whenever I read old stuff (and when I say "old," I literally mean stuff I wrote like between five minutes ago and decades earlier), I cringe.

But hey, that's why we keep at it! Keep on keeping on! Hope this was entertaining for you. Until next time..
- TL

No comments:

Post a Comment